The USA: 'it' or 'they'?

When you talk about countries the names of which are plural (for example, the United States and the Netherlands), and you need to use a pronoun not to say 'the USA' or 'the Netherlands' again and again, which pronoun do you use: 'it' or 'they'?


Normally collective nouns in English are singular so Parliament is sitting, the crowd is getting restless etc..

I would do the same for both countries: the United States is a safe place to live, the Netherlands is a country near Belgium. Therefore singular pronouns as well.



Alice Val Alice Val (2) on 05/09/13

Thank you, Paul! That was really confusing to me.

About the Author

  • 1 Question Asked
  • 150 Answers Given
  • Learning these languages

Earn points when you share